Thursday, March 8, 2007

Lets be Proud!!


International Women's Day


International Women's Day (8 March) is an occasion marked by women's groups around the world. This date is also commemorated at the United Nations and is designated in many countries as a national holiday. When women on all continents, often divided by national boundaries and by ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic and political differences, come together to celebrate their Day, they can look back to a tradition that represents at least nine decades of struggle for equality, justice, peace and development.

International Women's Day is the story of ordinary women as makers of history; it is rooted in the centuries-old struggle of women to participate in society on an equal footing with men. In ancient Greece, Lysistrata initiated a sexual strike against men in order to end war; during the French Revolution, Parisian women calling for "liberty, equality, fraternity" marched on Versailles to demand women's suffrage.



Content taken from http://www.un.org/.
So all of you out there, what ever it takes , " Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!
Live the life you have imagined.." Feel proud to be a women!!
Happy Women's Day!

16 comments:

Sia said...

happy women's day:)

FH said...

I have always felt proud to be a woman unlike my grand mother and mother!!:))
Great info and happy womens day to you.

Richa said...

happy womens day to you!

Mishmash ! said...

Lets celebrate the day :)
Hey I liked the new loook...ours is almost similar background shade now :)

Shn

Mishmash ! said...

The slides on top is new right ? I dint notice it y'day.

Sharmi said...

Hi Shn,
ya the slide is new. Did you like it?

Sia said...

did u paint that portrait sharmi?

TNL said...

Happy Women's day...though a day late..

I love the new look of your site..and I wanted to ask you what this raag was that's playing...I have it, I think but can't recall, is it Raag Raageshwari?

Sharmi said...

No Sia dear,I dint do the painting but I wish I could do something like that:)

Sharmi said...

Thanks Trupti, the raag is Marwa. by the way how do you get to buy your CDs?

Sia said...

but u can cook wonderful dishes:)
love the music playing in ur blog. trupti has hooked javascript:void(0)
Publish Your Commentme to santoor. i love sitar(ravi shankar n anoushka shankar)the most.

Sia said...

its my pleasure dear. i am quite fond of ur blog already:)
ganesha spoon was my gift to my dad for anniversary. i got it from antique shop back in my native. i got myself krishna spoon which i am quite fond of. isn't it beautiful? my dad loves it a lot. he has got huge ganesha collection back at home. its made using panchaloha which means 5 metals(silver, gold, bronze, brass and i forgot the last one:) first i thought its bronze then one of my relatives told me its panchaloha.
i am glad u liked it. i too am quite fond of collecting unusual and unique things.

TNL said...

no problem Sharmi..I was more than happy to link your blog,you have wonderful recipes...

oh...yes, It is Marwa...i remember now...sounded a little similar to Raageshwari...

I buy my cds online mostly....or when I visit Nj or Toronto...
take care!

Sia said...

i am a regular visitor to that site. haven't purchased anything at but i get inspiration for paintings.
i am from mangalore, karnataka. there r some good places where u can buy antiques and handicrafts for good price.
and that halwa is made using ashgourd /white pumpkin. it tastes divine. this is from horse's mouth who is not very fond of sweets:)

Richa said...

Hi Sharmi, thanks for dropping by. Yes, inspite of so many restaurants in NJ not too many serve the thali. For south Indian thali we go to either Udipi cafe on route 27 or Swagath on Oak tree. The pic is from Udipi. I live in princeton area, what about you? It's so interesting meeting people thru blogging.
Take care

Swapna said...

Hi Sharmi,
Nice blog you have here..and wonderful recipes too..
Swaps