Friday, April 20, 2007

Apple-ginger crescent rolls!


I have never made anything out of apples except for fruit custard. For the first time I tried out this chutney and it has come out really well. It tasted very similar to the mango-ginger chutney I usually make. This is my contribution to AFAM by Maheswari . It is a very simple contribution.

Ingredients
For the chutney
1 apple
2 ½ tbsp chopped ginger
3 green chillies
1tbsp Jaggery
Salt

For crescent rolls
1 Pillsbury crescent roll
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped capsicum
Apple-ginger chutney
cheese spread
Butter



Preparation

Grind all the Ingredients together to make thick chutney. Do not add water to it. It tastes good with Dosa, Idly or rice. I thought of making some stuffed crescent rolls for tea.
Apply some dry flour to your hand and flatten the crescent dough evenly. Apply cheese spread on the surface of the dough and above this apply the apple-ginger spread.
Now top this with chopped tomato, capsicum and onions.
Roll them in to crescents; apply some butter on the surface. Bake it for 12-15 minutes at 375 degrees.
For those who want to make home-made crescent dough click here .
I also served this chutney with Dosa. It can also be served with rice, rotis and idlis.

29 comments:

Shilpa said...

What a creative combination! :) When I saw the title, I assumed it would be a sweet pastry, heh heh.. I love pairing ginger with many other fruits, too, especially pineapple!

Padmaja said...

I am not a sweet person sharmi and i assumed u'r recipe as one looking at those apples but it turned out to be delicious starter!!
great recipe!!

Radha said...

That looks fantastic sharmi !!!

Radha said...

That looks fantastic sharmi !!!

FH said...

Apple chutney! YUM!! Crescent rolls look fabulous:)

Padma said...

Crescent rolls looks fabulous...

Richa said...

hey sharmi, liked ur idea of apple chutney, looks yummy. I wud like to try ur sorakai kootu, is it supposed to be little sweetish due to milk? i'm very fond of veg-subzi combo.
thanks!

Mishmash ! said...

Hey, this is quite an innovative one girl !!! I liked ur idea of stuffing it in cresent rolls....hmm...should try this sometime...as u said, will perfectly go with a cuppa tea :)

Shn

Raji said...

i never tried with apples as well
seems simple and lovely dish

S said...

hi i'm new to ur blog and ur blog was really good.

Prema Sundar said...

Nice innovative recipe Sharmi. I too have not done anything with apple expect to add that in custard..Good thinking..

Mandira said...

Wow, the apple-ginger rolls looks fabulous sharmi.

Sharmi said...

hi Shilpa, I dont like sweet rolls or buns so always try creating something like this. Thank you.

thanks Padma, Radha, asha and Padma.

Richa, No the pal koothu is not sweet. you can add green chillies along with coconut while grinding. also pepper corns. else you can use Instant coconut powder.

Sharmi said...

Thank you so much Shn, Raji, Shanti, Prema and Mandira.

Manjula said...

Chutney with apples!! I just love this AFAM events..

swapna susarla said...

Very creative!!!

Seema Bhat said...

Sharmi,
You are a creative lady. How do you come up with such wonderful recipes each time and every time. Loved it girl.

Sig said...

Apple, ginger and green chillies, oh man, what a great combo!!! So creative, wonderful dish Sharmi!!

Saju said...

wow Sharmi, that is amazing combination, I can't wait to try it.
Also Thanks for commenting on my blog

Cynthia said...

This is the second time I am seeing someone post about apple chutney, I must give it a try. I love your roll.

Priya Bhaskaran said...

never tried them nor tasted apple-ginger crescent rolls....seeing the picture I guess I need to give a try:)

Viji said...

Nice combo and nice presentation sharmi. Great recipe. Viji

TNL said...

That is a fantastic idea....! this would work even for a party..

trupti

Bharathy said...

Good blend of fruit and tangy veggies,the rolls look great!!!

Bharathy said...

Good blend of fruit and tangy veggies,the rolls look great!!!

Roopa said...

wow what a spread Shammi,
Loved all the recipes esp the rolls

Bong Mom said...

Sharmi
I must have said this but again you really are a genius and a very creative person.

Suganya said...

Crescent rolls! Different idea....... Looking great......

Priyanka said...

just cant stop posting comments- each recipe is a delight in itself.