Monday, June 18, 2007

Dal-Cauliflower Chutney



I know that the name sounds a little weird. I too felt the same when I first came across this recipe in a book. But the picture tempted me to try out the recipe and believe me, it was very tasty. Moong dal (Yellow mung beans) has a odd smell when cooked, and also the smell of cauliflower after it is cooked is not so inviting. Thinking about combining these two?? I thought it would either get into the fridge for decades and then land into the trash can or may be directly.
But then I took a chance, it came out so well that I wanted to share it with you guys.


Ingredients

2cups cauliflower (washed and cut into florets)
1cup moong dal
1tsp turmeric
1 tomato (optional)
chopped cilantro

For tempering

1/4 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cumin
4 green chillies
Asafoetida
curry leaves

Preparation

combine Dal-cauliflower, turmeric and pressure cook it for two whistles. Add very less water to cook it. Water should be just sufficient to cook the dal well. Cauliflower gets cooked very fast.
Using a steel ladle slightly mix and mash the cauliflower and dal so as to get a thick puree like consistency.
In a frying pan add 2-3 tsp oil and temper with mustard, cumin, curry leaves, asafoetida, green chillies slit length wise and finely chopped tomatoes. When the tomatoes get cooked, add the dal-cauliflower mix and fold in well. Don't forget to add salt and cilantro. Enjoy it with Dosa, Idlies or rotis.

29 comments:

Prema Sundar said...

Dal cauliflower chutney is new to me Sharmi.. looks nice and can make it sometime.. thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jyothi said...

Hey its very interesting recipe. Never heard about dal flower chutney. Must try. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe dear.

TNL said...

nice one...a very unusual combination though!
but..you never know until someone tries it~ and likes it... :)

trupti

sra said...

Sharmi, in consistency, it's chutney, but tastewise, it's probably like daal, right?

Sia said...

LOL sharmi...thank god it ended up in ur blog:) looks like thick dal...

swapna susarla said...

at the first glance i too thought that it is kind of wierd.but after reading want to try this out.that is really an interesting dish.thanku for sharing.

Viji said...

This is something new Sharmi. Very nice. Viji

Anh said...

Lovely recipe! Another great way to use cauliflower! :)

Roopa said...

looks like cauliflower thave. nice one i too make this this way!

SMN said...

Hey nice recipe.. thnx..

Raaga said...

I like the combination already. :-)

FH said...

Cauliflower chutney! YUMMY!! I will try.Thanks.Looks delicious.

Rachna said...

interesting and unusual combo... agree that the dal and cauliflower have a destinct flavour on their own.... , but their combination....? will have to try it

Sharmi said...

dear Sra, ya its almost a dal but since the cauliflower gets mashed it is called the chutney maybe. I didn't give the name though. its a tamilnadu recipe.

Dumela, do try out it tastes great.

Thank you dear friends.

deena said...

dal & cauliflower..quite new to me ..shall try it sometime ..thanks for sharing.

Aruna said...

Sharmi, I am sold, will try it soon as I have a big gobi sitting in the fridge.Thx.

Nanditha Prabhu said...

simple and healthy!

Bharathy said...

Oh..never knew we can make kootu with cauli..Cool recipe..
BTW,sharmi dear,I dont understand abt this technorati ranking...just clicked on and on my favourite blogs,and surprisingly your rank is lower than all the rest!!..It just,absolutely cannot be true..you are linked by about 100...and I know not the reason,,did u check that,dear..??

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi sharmi,
nice chutney... new to me.Thanks for sharing..

Suganya said...

Dal cauliflower.....Sounds different to me...Love it...Nice picture...

USHA said...

Hey ..this is absolutely new and intersting..chutney with cauliflower...hmmm.great innovation...

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey this one looks and sounds very different!! :) I love gobi and anything to do with it!! Thanx for the recipe

Meena Kandlakuti said...

Dal Cauliflower chutney seems to be more dal as we usually follow except tamarind.This recipe is very simple yet looks great.Thanks for sharing this chutney.I will try it soon:-))

Richa said...

very new combo for me, am not able to imagine the taste, guess will try! never know till u try, right :)

Vini K said...

My mother used to make pappu kura (meaning dal-curry) using yellow moong dal which is traditional for this recipe using vegetables like cauliflower,cabbage,and ridge gourd..I have to try out the chutney though.

Mishmash ! said...

Sharmi...i have tried to answer all your doubts in my comments section itself...check out that and still if you got doubts, you can mail me....pls feel free to ask all your doubts...I am more than happy to answer all :)

Shn

Kajal said...

It is very simple to make and very taste too. I will try it. Thanks my dear.:)

RML said...

Hi Sharmi,
Cauliflower and dal combo is new to me.Looks delicious.Sure will try and let u know.
Thanks for sharing
Madhuri

Rumana Rawat said...

Yummy chutney:)