Friday, March 30, 2007

Tangy Cilantro spirals!!





The idea of making these spirals just popped up in my mind when I was walking through the aisles and came across these frozen spirals. Suddenly I thought I could make them with breadstick dough. I also wanted to make something for weekend herb blogging, so why not a tangy cilantro chutney inside the small spiral buns. In India we get buns stuffed with savory, even puff pastry is a delicious savory there. I couldn’t find anything like that in US bakeries. I saw all the buns or crescent rolls dipped and coated in icing sugar, cinnamon and topped with powdered sugar. Any version of bread, buns or pastry is sweet here. So I thought why not create a new combination. Thus was born the “Cilantro spirals”.
This is my contribution to the weekend herb blogging hosted by Kalyn .




Food Facts!!



Coriander (Coriandrum sativum), also commonly called cilantro in North America.





The fresh leaves are an essential ingredient in many Vietnamese foods, Asian chutneys, Mexican salsas and guacamole, and very tasty when used in sushi rolls. Chopped coriander leaves are also used as a garnish on cooked dishes such as dal and many curries. As heat diminishes their flavour quickly, coriander leaves are often used raw or added to the dish right before serving. (Though in some Indian and Central Asian recipes, coriander leaves are used in huge amounts and cooked till they dissolve into sauce and their flavour mellows.

The fresh coriander herb is best stored in the refrigerator in airtight containers, after chopping off the roots. The leaves do not keep well and should be eaten quickly, as they lose their aroma when dried or frozen.
(Source Wiki)

Ingredients

Pillsbury breadstick dough
Butter for coating
½ cup chopped onions
Shredded cheese for topping

For the chutney

3 cups fresh cilantro
2 green chillies
½ cup thick tamarind puree
3tbsp-grated jaggery
Salt

Preparation

Prepare the chutney by grinding all the ingredients together without pouring water. The chutney becomes watery automatically from the jaggery, salt and tamarind puree.
You can increase or decrease the amount of chillies and jaggery depending on your taste buds.
Now cut the bread sticks lengthwise and top it with chutney and chopped onions.
Roll them gently as shown in the picture and brush it up with some melted butter and top it with cheese. Bake it for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, until they get a beautiful golden brown color. Enjoy them along with a hot cup of tea. Ummm…. Heavenly!!






37 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds very interesting. I didn't realize that there were savory stuffed buns like this in Indian cuisine, so I'm happy to learn more about it. (And of course there's cilantro, so I'd love it!)

Anh said...

Oh my! This is surely wonderful! I would love to eat one or two spirals!

J said...

I just let a comment yday I think and here's your next recipe already! Anything with coriander is superb!! :)

Shilpa said...

wow, what a clever way to use coriander! i'm sure these spirals disappeared very quickly! :)

FH said...

YUM!! Very creative Sharmi.Chutney spiralled in the re looks great.Jalapeno chutney!!Hey,good idea,thanks Sharmi.

sunita said...

Very creative Sharmi...I can imagine the taste...thanks.

Mishmash ! said...

Ohh..thats a great idea sharmi....never tasted something like this!

Shn

USHA said...

Hi Sharmi,

Wonderful and its very creative...
Excellent entry for the event too..

Cynthia said...

Sharmi, you are an innovator. I love savoury stuff more than sweet so to know that I can try making a savoury bun such as yours is great. I like cilantro a lot and this is a new way for me to use it. As with so many of your recipes, I have made a note and plan to try it. Thanks for all your continued hard work.

Mythreyee said...

This is absolutely awesome. What a wonderful idea. Would love to try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

dhanya said...

You have an amazing blog Sharmi!!
I liked the idea of using cilantro for spirals..they are looking gorgeous!!

Seema Bhat said...

Sharmi,
How creative of your girl. Lovley. I love those spirals. And about our trip to Hawaii we went to 3 islands. Started with Oahu..then went to The Big Island and finally to Maui. Loved all the three. Everyone of these are beautiful. If you are nature lover you will just enjoy the trip as we did. Should you need more info anytime please do not hesitate to ask.
Hugs
Seema

Pravs said...

This is very creative and looks very yummy.

Unknown said...

wow thats very innovative recipe..I am sure it taste heavenly with the cilantro chutney filling.

Sushma
http://www.sunkiran.com

Richa said...

the chutnies can be used to spice up so many things right?
looks so tasty.
thanks

Suma Gandlur said...

Wow! Green chutney and buns. Love the combo.

Harmony said...

hi thnx for Tangy spirals SHARMI>>

LERA said...

very Interesting & creative way to snack ,yummmmmy spirals with tangy chutney .Sharmi the pictures are very tempting.You have a nice Blog up there.

TNL said...

that's a very interesting twist to the usual filling ..would make a great appetizer for a party.
Lovely idea, Sharmi...keep bringing us your wealth of Information!

have a lovely weekend,
trupti

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Sharmi, Your recipe looks delicious! The coriander sounds lovely :)

Sharmi said...

Hi Kalyn, There are a lot of Interesting savory stuffs like this in Indian Cuisine. I will be posting them in future. thanks a lot. hope you like them!!

Hey anh, its quite easy and quick to make. you will surely enjoy them.

hey Jyo, am busy for the weekend so thought of finishing up with all the event stuff. thanks dear.

hi Shilpa, thanks dear!!


Asha honey, I think you didnt still get over your Jalapeno chutney. mine is cilantro dear!! hehehehe...... jus kidding
thanks u!

Sharmi said...

hey Suni, Shn, and Usha thanks a lot!!

Sharmi said...

Thank you so much Cynthia. I feel so happy to know that you will be trying them. Its a great compliment to me.

thanks a lot Mythreyee, DHanya, Pravs and sushma.

Dear Seema thanks for the info dear.

Sharmi said...

thanks you so much Richa, Suma, Pankaj, Lera, Trupti and Jeena.
So nice of you guyz!!

Latha said...

The cilantro spirals loook yummy Sharmi! I love puff pastry or any kind of rolls. Will give this a try!Cheers
LAtha

Helene said...

I´m with Kalyn, sounds very interesting and looks overwhelming. I´ll put it on my list. :)

Anil P said...

It's so tough to only read the recipe and not to get to taste them especially when one would rather prefer the latter :)

A new one in the list.

Shivapriya said...

Looks really delicious

Mandira said...

this looks so delicious. will have to try this soon. love the lovely brown of your buns - perfectly done!

Prema Sundar said...

Wonderful spirals Sharmi . As ur blog title suggests ur recipes a re sure innovative. Where do u get the pillsburry breadstick dough???
Will surely go very well with evening tea. Iam bookmarking this.

Sharmi said...

Hi Latha, thanks!! Do give it a try.

hi Helene, Thanks for dropping by.

Thanks Anil, Priya and Mandira.

Prema Thanks! You get the dough in the frozen Aisle or somewhere near the cheese.

Linda said...

What a great idea, Sharmi. You're right -- it's unusual to see a small, savory pastry in shops here, at least in my experience. Aside from the occasional (and large) ham and cheese croissant, I can't think of too many offhand. I love cilantro so I will have to give these a try, thanks :)

Unknown said...

hey sharmi can we do it with puff pastry sheets tooo ? the spirals looks soo yumm!! i want to try it .... good job girl!!

Priyanka said...

oh wow sharmi, was just browsing through all your recepies from the past- i love each and everyone- but the cilantro spirals are too good.

Visa said...

Sharmi..
Excellent Blog!! I love browsing through ur blog. I tried this recipe couple of days back and was a big hit! Real easy...and i dint have the cilantro paste so i used the basil pesto i made couple of days back. Thaks for sharing this snack!

Sruthi said...

Hi Sharmi, very cool blog !!!
I was visting your blog couple weeks ago and I saw this recipe. I ended up making this recipe with very few midofications, turned out really well. I couldn't capture the picture as nice as yours.. But the taste was gud !!.. You can see this recipe in my blg : http://sruthiskitchen.blogspot.com

I will delete the recipe from my blog if you have any concerns. let me know pls..

Raaga said...

Sharmi: This post that I read 5 years ago pushed me to make this!

http://chefatwork.blogspot.sg/2012/07/coriander-cream-cheese-pinwheels.html