Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sweet n Sour Okra curry




Okra is very commonly used vegetable in India and is also called as the lady’s finger.
It is either sauteed or added to gravy based preparations.
I am making a sweet n sour curry which is called as the Bendakaya Gojju in telugu or vendakai puli kulambu in tamil.
My grandmother was a great cook. She used to make this curry for us. I could never achieve the taste and zing which she had brought to it. But trying to keep her memories alive.




Ingredients

1.5 cups of medium cut okra
1cup of shallots cut into half
½ cup tomato puree
2.5 cup tarmarind water
½ cup water
1tbsp gramflour (besan)
2tbsp Jaggery
Turmeric
1tsp Chilli powder
1tsp Coriander powder
Salt
1tsp Oil

For Tempering

½ tsp mustard seed
½ tsp cummin seed
½ tsp fenugreek seed
asafoetida
curry leaves
dry chillies
1tbsp oil

Preparation


In a pan add oil and saute both okra and shallots for 5 minutes in a medium heat.
In to the same pan add tarmarind water, water, turmeric and salt. Let it come to a boil.
The okra should become tender. Now add tomato puree, coriander powder, chilli powder, jaggery and let it come to a boil again in medium heat. Mix gram flour in 1tbsp water and add it to the gravy to achive considerable thickness. If you want you can increase the amount of chilli powder for more heat. I prefer less.
Now temper it with the given ingredients and relish it with rice or dosa . It goes great with both.

10 comments:

Sia said...

ah sharmi... i can never get enough of sweet n sour okra curry. looks so delicious and tempting.

FH said...

Hi harmi,I am drooling here girl!It's looks very very delicious.I have frozen Okra,will try this.Thanks for sharing.

Richa said...

hi sharmi, the first pic looks so delectable. never had bhindi in gravy, always made it dry. this is a very new dish for me.
cheers!

TNL said...

Sharmi...you brought back some nice memories...I had this at a family friend's house in W.Palm beach...and I just love that tangy tamarind flavor in this curry...I had forgotten about it...thanks for reminding me about this delicious curry!

Sharmi said...

Thanks Sia, Asha, Richa and Trupti.
Hope you guys will try it out!!

Mika said...

Reminds me of a vendakkai pachadi my mom makes. But we omit shallots and besan and add fenugreek powder. Will have to try your version soon...

Mishmash ! said...

I have never tasted this sweet n sour version, but i dont mind taking that whole plate, its look soo tasty :)

Shn

Sharmi said...

It would be my pleasure Shn!!

Priya said...

That looks lovely ! I just love all things tangy and will surely try your curry, Thank you

Bubboo said...

Sharmi,
That curry looks delicious, I'm drooling!. I love tangy curries and this will be a must try! Thanks for sharing such wonderful dishes!

Sneha
http://kadambam.wordpress.com