Thursday, July 12, 2007

Matka Watermelon kulfis and MEME




I had asked my mom to send these lovely cups called "Kullhads" in Hindi, from my kitchen in India. Kullhads are used for serving teas in a traditional way. Why the name Matka Watermelon Kulfis? Matka means a earthen pot. In India ice creams called Kulfis are served in matkas called the Matka kulfi.




I mixed up some straw berry ice cream, watermelon juice and nuts like pistachios and cashews. Put them in the fridge for a while to cool. Serve them chilled. I just used my imaginations and worked this recipe out.



This is my contribution to Bee and Jai's AFAM event. I know I took the least effort in making this recipe but could not come up with anything better.

I think MEME is the toughest post I have ever typed. I thought, thought and thought about myself ever since Nabeela has tagged me. Kept asking myself so many questions.
Life got so busy after marriage and a kid that it has been a long time since I have thought about "ME". Here are the 7 Random Musing.

1. I am the only daughter of my parents. They have given me so much love and pampered me a lot. My mom never ever forced me to do household work. I took life seriously only after marriage. I became more responsible and hard working.
Once my mom puts the left overs into the fridge, I would never eat them again. I used to yell at her saying I wanted fresh cooked food only. Now I realize, how much my mom tolerated me. Now, when I keep left overs in to the fridge and eat them the next day, I realize life teaches everyone a lesson.

2. When I get some free time out of my busy schedule, I would like to put on some face pack, relax, have a bubble bath, pedicure, settle down on the couch with some cute, humorous, romantic movie like "you've got mail", "The wedding Planner" or watch something along with my son like "over the hedge" or “Madagascar”. If I watch a horror movie, that night I make sure all the doors and windows are closed/locked. I chant prayers and sleep that particular night. Ya, I am scared of darkness too. I can never sleep if I am left all alone in my house.

3. The following are some of many things that I miss. Being in India of course. Miss the chitchat and laughter with friends during my college days. The days I spent in my hostel were the happiest. We friends, used to laugh and laugh for hours on silly jokes, making fun of what went on in the class that day. Other things I miss are the food in India, Jasmine flowers while in sari, my mom's hug every morning, a long chat with my dad, going to movies with friends, traditional weddings, meeting cousins and huge family gatherings at my grandmother's place. Sitting with my grandmother in the backyard, we cousins used to eat food, while she makes small balls of rice and gives it to us. Things that make me happy are Flowers. The farmers market I visit has a huge collection of beautiful and colorful flowers. I love watching them. The other things I love are the first rain and the fresh smell of mud, good music, and naughty kids.

4.I am a great shopping freak. I can shop till I drop. Except for Bombay I have shopped in most of the places in India. Bangalore- Commercial Street, Delhi- Karol bagh, New Market- Kolkata, Chennai-T-nagar, Hyderabad-Abids, Koti and many more. I feel shopping is more fun in India, The hustle and bustle, bargaining, taking a break and going to chaat shops, its all so much fun.

5.Something negative about me is I am very pushy when I have to get some job of mine done. I keep pestering my husband, dad, mom or anybody asking them "have they done it"? "When are they going get my job done? Why is it pending for so long!" and so on
But when somebody gets pushy on me, I get annoyed. Ya I know what you guys are thinking.

6. I Love Traveling and learning about new places, people and their culture. The one thing I want to do before I die is visit all the must see places around this world. I also have this capability of grasping and learning a language very quickly. At present learning Spanish along with my Son.

7.The one thing that horrifies me the most is small children begging on streets and common places. It brings tears in my eyes. I feel so helpless sometimes looking at them. It makes me think I wish I were the richest person in this world to end poverty or I wish I had the powers of God. I know that’s a funny thought but that’s how it makes me feel. While in India, I used to visit Mother Teresa's place and other orphanages and contributed what I could.

I Tag the following people for random MEME. If you have been already tagged please ignore.

Wokandspoon

SRA of When my soup came alive

Viji of Vicuisine

Rinku of cooking with rinku.

Chris of Mele cotte

Sailu of Sailu's food

39 comments:

USHA said...

Hi Sharmi,

Kulfis looks great and the containers looks veryt raditional..its was interesting to read your Meme...Same pinch for5th point .yep even i too have that habit..when they ask me..i get irritated..later imagine how they would have felt when i do towards them:))...

Padma said...

Beautiful kulfi snaps, Sharmi and ur MEME was interesting to read about the unknown zones of you....thanks for sharing...

Arts said...

Hey Sharmi,
the kulfis look yummy.. thx for posting.. I made WM popsicles :)

Nice random thoughts :) Loved to know more abt u.. Sme pts say tht u r just like me.. love for India, shopping, travelling, pestering, language learning :D

Sig said...

Hey Sharmi, how funny is that... I was reading your post and I got your comment... we were at each other's blog at the same time :)

Loved reading the meme... so only child, a spoiled brat, eh? :)

#2 sounds like the perfect way to relax... :)

Kulfis look great... awesome quick and recipe, just the way I like, nice imagination... :)

Richa said...

hey those painted kulhads are so cute, ur kulfi is so quick to make :)
nice to know u thru the meme. so u like shopping, then definitely u need to shop in bombay, u will enjoy it thoroughly (my exp) heh!heh!

Seema Bhat said...

Sharmi,
Oh I have fallen in love with those lovely cups of yours. And watermelon kulfi in matka look gorgeous Sharmi. YEs, I was and am real busy nowadays as my in-laws are here and guests hovering around my place all the time. And on what can I say about your Meme....samepinch on all the points there. I just can't believe we are so much similar buddy.

FH said...

Kulfis are yuma nd easy too.Love the little Matki.In K'taka,they make sweet thick yogurt in those to sell and chicken too in B'lore.Loved those things!:)
MeMe was fun to read!
Leftovers; Serves you right! Welcome to the real world!Hope you said sorry to your mom or I will twist your ears myself!:)
My kids are learning Spanish too,I picked some as well,it's fun:)
Pushy; I am with you.My kids call me a nag!I don't care as long as they my stuff promptly!:D

Mishmash ! said...

Sharmi....you re such a sweetheart, dear....your Meme was so honest and transparent....I was also quite fussy with food and everything before going to hostel and before getting married but now i really admire my folks for tolerating me:) I loved your earthen pots...I wish I had 'em....!

Shn

Cynthia said...

This was such deep and revealing MEME, thanks for opening up yourself like this sharing with us Sharmi.

Love and hugs to you.

About the Matka Watermelon Kulfis - I think that you are a exceptionally gifted foodie and with each post, I learn something new and valuable. You totally rock.

Anh said...

Sharmi, this looks beautiful... Thanks for commenting on my blog. I just came back from my holiday, and will be posting soon. :)

bee said...

thanks for the entry, shammi. it is beautiful. i enjoyed reading your MeMe.

Kajal said...

I always love this type of matka kulfis as compare to ice-cream. I prefer matka kulfi when all family memeber enjoy different type of ice-cream. Great photo with nice taste of watermelon.......Enjoy to read your me-me.:)

J said...

Kulhad!! Wow, I love kulhadwali chai and matka kulfis! Nice idea with watermelons. Enjoyed the meme too, and particularly #2...

WokandSpoon said...

Thanks for the tag! I love your creative kulfi recipe! Hehe - I'm incredibly pushy as well ;-)

SMN said...

hey lovely recipe im in love with that matkas.. i always loved it.. thnxs so much..

sra said...

Sharmi, thanks for the tag, will honour it as soon as I find a computer, mine's gone kaput.
I love to travel and learn languages. I did a diplom in French and even after several years, was able to speak quite fluently on a trip to Paris last year. I am impatient when a task needs doing, have to get it over with, esp repairs, but it just doesn't seem to help. Maybe I should learn how to be 'pushy' instead! :)

Sharmi said...

Hey Usha, very true but not able to change it:)

Sig, Ya dear truly spoilt brat. Thanks.

Thanks richa will surely visit if I get chance.

Hey Seema I know that you have In Laws so take your own time dear.

Asha, For the first time I felt I have a elder sis who is going to turn my ears:) feels good.
How much ever Pushy I get my hubby and son have become resistant to it and they dont care anymore.

Sharmi said...

Shn, so you were also in hostel!! those are lovely days.

Hey Cyn, thanks dear.

Sra,diploma in French? interesting. and the pushy thing believe me it does not work always.

archana said...

You are true creative cook. This is such a lovely idea of making kulfi and serving it in kulhads. Nice to know more about you :)

Coffee said...

It was so nnice knowing about you Sharmi... Lovely meme...... and what an imagination with watermelon and strawberry!! :) Very nice indeed. :D

Bharathy said...

Kulfi with melon...very novel..that too in kulfi pots...great shots!!

Nice to know more abt you through your simple,frank,humble MEME :)

While selecting citrons,let them not be too green...that may turn the pickle bitter...riper ones are safer and better..:)...if it's with lime...surely go for the ripe ones..:)

RML said...

Hi Sharmi,
MEME was interesting and enjoyed reading.
Yes even I wonder how my Mom tolerated me for all the fuss I used to make in eating( I used to be very picky).I think thats the beauty of Moms.
Loved your kulfis
Thanks for sharing

Suma Gandlur said...

Loved your idea of kulfis. The strawberry and watermelon combination must have worked fine.
Loved to know a little bit about you. I miss India and other things associated with it too.

Laavanya said...

Sharmi the kulfi looks wonderful - nice imagination there. The pictures are pretty too. Good to know a bit more about you through your meme.

Rahin said...

hi sharmi , lovely kulfi , watermelon is an unusual flavor for kulfi ....must try it soon...i too have kulhads n my friends love having tea in them :)

musical said...

Whatta kulfi, dear! send some my way :)) and lovely meme. i love Madagascar too!

(goes back to look at the kulfis again).

have a good weekend,
musical.

Linda said...

Hi Sharmi, you've got me wanting to try making kulfi now, and those matka pots are so beautiful! It's nice having the chance to know you better through your meme ... hope you get some pampering soon. Moms deserve it! :)

Viji said...

Nice kulfis in Matkas. Its very interesting to know more about you Sharmi. Tks for tagging me. Will try to do it. Viji

Shivapriya said...

Kulfis look great very creative, they are my fav. Wow great to know more about you sharmi.

Bong Mom said...

Those "matkas" are so beautiful. Where did your Mom buy them ? Maybe I can coerce someone to get me acouple too
Loved reading your MEME :)

Mahek said...

Thanks for visiting my blog
Very well written....

Sharmi said...

Sandeepa, I had purchased them in hyderabad, at a handicraft exhibition. It was sitting in my house for long time and so thought of asking my mom to send them here. I am very fond of handicraft stuff. The Fair happens every year end and there are stalls from all the states in India. I miss all that here.

Pravs said...

Wow what a novel idea to serve in matkas. Got to know you a little more reading your MEME.
Thanks for enquiring about me :D

Prema Sundar said...

nice to know abt u thru ur meme Sharmi. kulfis look good and what caught my attention was those lovely containers.

Roopa said...

nice matkas, the kulfis look so good. lovely meme nice knowing you oh the fack pack and bubble bath i would love that too, naggy yeah am with you my daughter says why do you nag so much i will do whats the urgency ha ha i think all moms are...

Priyanka said...

I love the matkas Sharmi- although watermelon is not a favorite of mine. Great pics as usual. Got to know you much better through your meme. Thanks for sharing.

Suganya said...

Yummy matka watermelon kulfis.....Love them...They are beautiful...

Chandrika said...

Sharmi, the kulfis look great and the meme was an interesting read..I feel the same about a lot of things...

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Cool recipe! I like the fusion sound of it!

Kanchana