Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rasmalai and Rasgulla!!! Diwali Special



Hearty Diwali Greetings to all Neivedyam viewers!!

Thanks to Raks for the lovely recipe. It came out so well! My whole family enjoyed it. I followed her recipe step by step.

Ingredients

whole milk 1 Lit(for paneer)
1/2 lit milk (for syrup)
Lemon juice 3 tblsp
Sugar 2 cups
Water 3 cups
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
10 Saffron strands
Nuts for garnish

Preparation

Rasgullas
Heat 1 lit milk,when it starts boiling, add lemon juice and stir well.
Heat on low flame until the whey water clearly separates. Turn off the heat.
Take a metal strained, lined with a cheese cloth. Pour the curdled milk in it and wash it well with running water under the tap to remove the lemon smell and sourness.
Squeeze the excess water gently from the cloth and hang it for 30 minutes. After 1/2 hour,take out the crumbled paneer in a bowl. Knead the paneer for 7-10 minutes gently to make it a soft and smooth dough. Make smooth equal sized balls. Round ones for rasgullas and a little flat ones for rasmalai.
In a pressure cooker, add water and sugar to make syrup and boil it. Also add cardamom powder. To the syrup add the paneer balls carefully one after the other. Pressure cook on low flame till one whistle. Let it stay for 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat. Once the cooker cools off, you can see the paneer balls in the syrup have doubled the size.
The Rasgullas are ready and can be served chilled. But in my house it was over as soon as I opened the cooker:)
Since I was making it for the first time the shapes were a little flat like rasmalai so I made some.

For Rasmalai-
Heat 1/2 litre milk, add 1 cup sugar, saffron and cardamom powder. Bring to boil and let it thicken a little. Turn off the heat. when the milk cools a little, remove the rasgullas from the syrup and dunk them in milk garnish with nuts and serve chilled!!

16 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a irresistible rasmalai, love both rasmalai & rasgulla anytime..yumm!

Pushpa said...

Delicious Rasmalai..

simplehomefood.com

Pavani said...

Those rasmalai look too good.. I'm drooling here. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

AJ said...

Looks delicious!!

Sujana said...

Rasmalai looks so yummy

http://worldofsujana.blogspot.com/

Srividhya Ravikumar said...

wow..what a fabulous rasmalai dear... looks drooling.

Kurinji said...

Simply delicious!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Sharmi,

They look so tempting...love them..Happy Diwali to you dear...Check out the event in my blog...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Raks said...

Has turned out very very nice sharmi,Looks tempting!! Thanks a lot for trying and linking my post :)

mickey said...

Irresistible....looks simple...
I will try it too...

Kurinji said...

Hi, there is a award waiting for you in my blog.

http://kurinjikathambam.blogspot.com/2010/11/sunshine-award.html

Happy Diwali!!!

MySpicyKitchen said...

This is one of the few indian sweets I love!

subhashini said...

Hi
I came across your blog and I was shocked that till now I have missed your yummy and unique recipes.Any way here after I will keep track.I am following you.

Torviewtoronto said...

looks delicious

Raaga said...

These look great... someone taught my mother to put a small diamond kalkandu in the centre of the balls before putting them in the pressure cooker. :)

Anu said...

Wow.Rasagulla looks so perfect and yummy..