Saturday, August 11, 2007

Garden Harvest Recipes- Part 1


When I first came across the Green Blog Project, started by Inji of Ginger and Mango, I was very thrilled by the idea and waited for the spring to come. I went and bought lot of seeds and pots. I don't have a backyard but managed to get pots which can stand on my apartment window. It feels so good to see your veggies grow. Back in India, I had a huge garden with all kinds of trees like peaches, plums, Pomegranate and banana. I also had a veggie garden. Missed all that space when I heard about the green blog project.
This time this event is hosted by Deepz of Letz Cook. Here are some recipes from my small kitchen garden

Beans Stage wise pictures



Aloo-beans ki Sukhi Subzi (stir fried veggies with beans and potato)

Ingredients

1 cup chopped fresh beans
1 cup potatoes diced
1tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/3 tsp cumin seeds
Salt
oil

Preparation

In a pan add 2 tsp oil and add cumin seeds. Once it splutters add beans, potatoes, turmeric, salt and chilli powder. Saute it and cover it with lid on medium heat for about 10 -12 minutes. Uncover the lid and leave it for 2-3 minutes.



Okra Flower



Masaledar Bhindi ( Spicy Okra)


Ingredients

1 cup chopped okra
1cup chopped onions
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp of Tava fry masala (found in the Indian grocery store)

The tava fry masala consists of the following ingredients. If you don't have one, you can use the ingredients with the given measurements.
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp dry mango powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp pomegranate seed powder
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp black salt
½ tsp black pepper powder
1tsp kasuri methi
2 pods of cloves
1/3 tsp cinnamon powder
1/3 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp dry ginger powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp Sugar
Salt
Oil

Preparation

The Masala is same as that of I prepared for Bharwan Karela. You can follow the same procedure for making the tomato/ onion masala. In a pan add 2bsp oil and fry the okras till slightly soft and crisp. Add the prepared masala to it and fold together. Let it cook for another 10 minutes. Masaledar bhindi is ready.



Mint Plant

Cilantro just showing up

Lot of them showing up infact

I have some more recipes from my kitchen garden which I will post in Garden Harvest Part 2

45 comments:

TBC said...

The okra in ur pic looks so cute. You are lucky to have your own garden.

Neelam said...

Sharmi, your plants hve grown so well..I would love to grow mint...Nice recipes too...

musical said...

I love the time lapse photography :). Very cute plant pcitures and yummy recipes!

Bong Mom said...

You have a pretty good garden in your pots Sharmi.Much Better than mine :( I have loads of tomatoes !!! The beans are not too many at a time and I end up making the alu-beans sabzi too

My cilantro just didn't come even after all that effort, I think the seeds were old.

All your plants are so good (touch wood) and the dishes are yummy too

Coffee said...

You have a green thumb sharmi!! Lovely pics! :)

Creativecook said...

As always beautiful pics. My kids love bhindi, your tender looking okra makes me wistful. Mint looks good too!

sra said...

Hi Sharmi, that pic of the bean - I identified it right away because all the science texts carry it - it's a classic.
You grew peaches and plums? Where did you live?

archana said...

Sharmi you have nice kitchen garden.I liked the tawa fry masala :)NIce pictures :)

Srivalli said...

sharmi....the plants look great...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Saju said...

what lovely pictures of the vegetables! The recipe looks very yummy.

J said...

Lovely garden Sharmi! The coriander showed up, then died. Don't know why. Any idea? maybe I don't have a green thumb!

SeeC said...

Thats so cute Sharmi. Enjoyed each and every picture, including the dish :).
So nice of to share it.

Prema Sundar said...

wow beautiful kitchen garden Sharmi.. looking at ur s I am inspired and feel that i could have planted some veggies too... will surely try it next time.

Jyothi said...

Hi sharmi, great post. Okra is my favourite. You are very lucky to have your own garden. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome lucky you. I am still waiting my plants to yield some output :)

Mishmash ! said...

oh...they look so pretty....green beauties, I should say :) I was not lucky with coriander though :(

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sharmi,
Your small garden looks good and healthy.

cheers
rajani

Anonymous said...

Lucky you sharmi...for such a beautiful garden...you must been working very hard there, coz the produce is wonderful

bee said...

your plants are just lovely, sharmi. enjoy the harvest.

ServesYouRight said...

Oy - the okra looks so pretty but my favorite is mint!! Lots of inspiration in this post :-)

Smita

Laavanya said...

Great garden sharmi - looks good and good recipes too! :)

Sia said...

u r surely gifted with green thumb:) lovely post. cant wait to see part-2:)

Sharmi said...

hey Jyo, if the seeds are too old cilantro might not turn up. buy some good quality seeds and try they will surely come.

Sharmi said...

Prema, start during the spring, that is the right time. Use potting soil.

Thank you so much all !

Nanditha Prabhu said...

Sharmi,
you have a wonderful kitchen garden!...i admire your passion towards your garden, which you have groomed even if there are space restrictions!

Unknown said...

Sharmi, u seem to have a lovely garden, though its on a window sil :)
Very nice pictures of ur garden.
And delicious recipes too!!!

Unknown said...

Sharmi, u seem to have a lovely garden, though its on a window sil :)
Very nice pictures of ur garden.
And delicious recipes too!!!

Viji said...

Lovely sharmi. What else you need? Just fresj from the garden. The beans are so tender. Enjoyed this post dear. Viji

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Sharmi your recipes look great. I bet your okra and beans tasted all green and lovely. :)

Nupur said...

Your little garden is lush and beautiful! Love those tender green beans and the cute okra. A friend gave me an okra seedling that I tried growing in the pot by the kitchen window...but it caught some disease (brown spots on the laves) and died :(
I don't have a green thumb like you :)

Cynthia said...

I am always happy to see the success of home gardens.

Your okra dish, I wish I had some now :)

Susan said...

Sharmi, I've never seen okra blossoms before. They look like poppies. Your okra recipe is among many that seem to be posting within the last few days. I've never been more encouraged to try it.

Your photo gallery has many fantastic pics. Do you have recipes for all the photos featured or are some of them shots from restaurants in your travels? I can't get over those colorful scoops of ice cream. : )

Sig said...

wow, quite a green gal you are Sharmi... look at that great loot! Lucky you, must be soo nice to cook your own produce...

Chris said...

Wow! Green thumb! My beans never ...well beaned! :) I've just been able to keep my basil and rosemary afloat. Great pictures!

Sharmi said...

Susan,The pics sliding above are not taken by me. the pics named picture gallery is by me to the right.
thanks for visiting.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

sharmi, your plants are so beautiful. I would love to grow flower plants:) ... recipes are also looks good.

Radha said...

Lovely garden Sharmi!!
And I never knew okra has flowers!!

sunita said...

Nice to see you reaping the benefits of your harvest:)

Richa said...

it sure brings lot of joy to see the garden bloom, isn't it? ur plants look very beautiful. dishes must taste yum fresh from the garden :)

Bong Mom said...

Sharmi
Just saw your comment at SJ's. I am not sure if the brand of Veggie Patties she has is available in NJ. There is one called Morning Star, comes in lots of diiferent flavors, try it. I love them

Anonymous said...

Sharmi
I get it from BJ's too.
But in ShopRite, there is more variety. Like even with M. Star there are flavors like Mexican, Black bean etc. which I have not seen in BJ's
Also they have veg nuggets and veg sausage links, same brand
--sandeepa

Swaruchy said...

The presentation was awesome Sharmi....I loved the pictures.......

Prajusha said...

sharmi,
Ur garden looks so nice. i love all ur orgianic recipes:)

Anonymous said...

You have a pretty garden Sharmi! Loved all the harvest recipes too. You deserve that award from cynthia, you really rock girl!

Padma said...

Sharmi those okras are looking so cute...and your garden has grown so beautifully...very well taken pictures and comfy recipes...its must be feeling great to cook your own veggies!