Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sunnundalu (Urad Dal Laddu)


Sunnundalu is a very traditional sweet of Andhra. It is prepared during baby showers as it has lot of health benefits during pregnancy. My Mother-in-law made this delicacy for me on my baby shower. She is a wonderful cook and has introduced me to the authentic Andhra cuisine. I also learnt how to make the famous Andhra Avakaya (Mango pickle) from her.

This is my contribution to Cooking for kids with love hosted by the very talented Pratibha & Jigyasa. Though we are still waiting for the movers to get our stuff and not yet completely settled down here in Michigan, I thought of making something from my mother-in-law's kitchen with the available ingredients in my kitchen for this event.




Ingredients:

2 cups Urad dal (Roasted into golden red color)
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Melted ghee(clarified Butter)

Preparation

In a heavy bottomed pan roast the urad dal on medium low heat by stirring continuously. The dal should slowly turn to red color. Remove it from heat and let it cool for a while, grind the roasted urad dal along with sugar into a coarse powder.
The powder should have a sand like texture.
Transfer the mixture into a pan and add melted ghee. On low heat blend ghee and urad dal mixture well. Remove from heat and make small laddus. It is a healthy laddu and "is good for backbone during pregnancy" says my mother-in-law!!




30 comments:

FH said...

Hi Sharmi, good to see you back again. Never tasted or made this before, sounds good! :)

Deepa Hari said...

Nice to see you back....Sunnundalu looks great.

Preety said...

welcome back sharmi, my freind told me about this ladoo but i haven't tried these yet..seems like it is very simple to make

Pavani said...

Good to see you back Sharmi. Those sunnundalu look delicious. Hope everything's going well with the moving.

Manju said...

good to have you back!! ive never heard of these before but they defenitely look delicious and healthy too!!

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
nevet tasted before...they look so perfect:)

Raaga said...

I ate this during Diwali last year. we'd been to a telugu family's house.

I read the rules of the CFK event and it didn't look like my cake qualified... there isn't a child in the picture. And I made that recipe up... maybe my children can feed it to their grandchildren :)

How have you been?

Sanghi said...

Mmmm.. yummy! sure it must have so good smell of dal. Lovely too.:)

Unknown said...

looks good..new to me..will try it sometime..

Finla said...

Wow i love laddus, and this looks so yumm, drooling here.
I think will have to miss this event as il be going for a break.

Suparna said...

Hi Sharmi, hadn't heard abt this laddo hadn't tasted it either...something new in the laddo list :) TC

lubnakarim06 said...

My favourite. Looks tempting and yum.... Are you from Andhra?

gtyuk said...

lovely laddu! my reddiyar friends in school (once upon a time, longtime ago) used to bring these yummy laddus to the hostel. never had the chance to eat them afterwards!

thanks for the recipe!

Cynthia said...

Send me a few!

Manasi said...

Hey!! Look who's back!!! Sunnundalu..never tasted but is definately... yummm! right up my alley!

Usha said...

This one sounds delicious, have never tried them....

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

yummy yummy... can i pick a few?

Bong Mom said...

Hi Sharmi

So you are settled now in Michigan ? How are the kids with the move ?

Swapna said...

Sounds new to me. Never tasted before. will try soon. bookmarked:)

Vishali said...

sunundalu look good Sharmi.....and its good to see you back ...hope u like Michigan ...:)

Lisa Turner said...

Welcome back. I would be sure to enjoy this treat. Never heard of it before and glad I know about it now.

Vijitha said...

Hi sharmi! yummy balls. Looks so good.

Sunshinemom said...

I have had but never made this myself. Terrific laddus!

Simply Innocence said...

Good to see you back, Sharmi. Lovely ladoos and new to me. Can u send me some as a gift?

Mandira said...

these look delicious sharmi :) Welcome to Michigan. Are you here yet?

Linda said...

Hi Sharmi,

Anxious to hear how you are liking Michigan when you get settled! The laddu look delicious, and especially love the photo of the urad dal :)

Swapna said...

Hello Sharmi, You are the person who started CFKL?..great idea. My thanks for starting such a sweet event :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharmi,
Just announced the winners of CFKL on our site. Thank you for this lovely idea. It seemed so apt in Pedatha's memory.
Cheers!

Unknown said...

They look too good and healthy!

Deepa said...

Sunnundalu.. meeru cheppinattu chala eazy ne cheyyadaniki.. but the way u explained about the dish was very good.