Sunday, March 1, 2009

Celebrating Neivedyam's 2nd Birthday with Andhra Avakaya

It's been 2 lovely years of blogging. It's a wonderful journey into the world of cooking with co-blogger and friends. It has been an amazing experience to Cook and share, which always gives immense joy and pleasure. The happiest part is when people email me saying, they tried the recipes and liked it. I have made some great friends who are very close to heart through blogging. This year I have also started an event "Cooking for Kids" which is going on well with all your support.
I thank all the visitors for appreciating and supporting Neivedyam with their valuable comments. I hope to share more and more recipes with you in the coming years.

Here is a very Authentic and Traditional recipe from Andhra which my Mother-in-law passed it to me as a treasure. It's Andhra Avakaya (Mango Pickle). Avakaya is the oldest and traditional pickle made in Andhra. In Andhra, during summer mangoes are bought, cleaned and cut to pieces, processed and made to pickles with spices originated in Andhra itself. The Chilli and Turmeric which are cultivated in Andhra are used for making this Avakaya.

I was not aware that avakaya was so easy to make at home until one day my mother-in-law made them in 15 minutes. Now I never buy pickles from store and the avakaya pickle I make is a real hit in my house:) I too can make them in minutes(proud).

Ingredients

3 medium sized raw mangoes (makes 3 cups diced mangoes)
1/2 cup chili powder
1/2 cup Mustard seeds
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp Turmeric

Procedure

The most important thing to remember for making avakaya is buying mangoes. They should be very hard when touched and should be of medium size.
Wash the mangoes and wipe off the water with a clean cloth or paper towel. Cut the mangoes in to pieces as shown.
Spread the mango pieces on a clean and dry paper towel. Pat dry and remove the excess moisture on the pieces. Leave it aside.

Grind Mustard seeds along with salt, chilli powder and fenugreek seeds. Some people use fenugreek seeds as it is without grinding but I prefer to powder it.

The chilli powder I use is from Andhra. This chilli powder is specifically used for making pickles which is called as "Three mango mirch powder" (made of warangal mirchi). It is pure and brings out good color to the pickle. Kashmiri chili powder can be used instead.

The ground spice mix comes to about 2 cups approximately which is called ava pindi (mustard powder)
Blend in the prepared spice powder with the mango pieces, oil and turmeric in a wide bowl. Mix well until all the mango pieces are coated with spices. Transfer the prepared pickle into a clean and dry air tight jar. Next morning the oil and juice comes out of the mango pieces.

If you taste the avakaya immediately after preparing, it will taste salty. Do not think you have added more salt or chilli powder. It take 3-4 days for the avakaya to get to its original taste.

44 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

Congrats dear...wow spicy pickle...keep rocking for years to come...

Preety said...

congratulations..the pickle so spicy..my fav one too..wish you a happy blogging for many years to come

Lavanya Raj said...

Happy Birthday Neivedyam!

Avakay pickle makes me crave for it now. it is heavenly with curd rice..

indhu said...

Congratulations :)
and I love this pickle... drooling at the picture

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

lovely avakai... my mouth is watering now. congrats sharmai.. and wish you many more in the future.

amna said...

my mouth is watering too! yummy!

sunita said...

Happy 2nd blogversary to Neivedyam.

It's been a pleasure to have known you, dear Sharmi :-)

FH said...

Happy 2nd birthday Sharmi, enjoy blogging. Mango pickle is mouthwatering, wish I could get green mangoes here! :)

Shivapriya said...

Happy 2nd Birthday to Neivedyam!! Sharmi.

Avakaya looks great, I know summer and kotta avakaya are the best. I'm going to try my hands this yr.

Deepa Hari said...

Congrats Sharmi....Thats my fav. pickle...My grandma would make it...Looks lovely.

Pavani said...

Congrats Sharmi. Avakaya looks awesome.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Congrats on completing 2 years! I just loooove this pickle. Thanx to my Andhra friends, I get to eat it often.

Vani said...

Happy Anniversary, Sharmi! May you celebrate many many more with us! :)

A_and_N said...

Congrats :)

This reminds me of the avakkai pickle that my aunt'd make religiously every year for me. Sigh.

Finla said...

Happy 2nd birhtydat to your wonerful blog.
Wishing you many more years of delicious blogging.
Andhra avakay' pickles are the best in the world, i love them.
Yours looks so delicioius.
If i was living cloer to you i would have sure bribed you with something so that i can have a bottle of that delicious pickle.
DROOL.

Manasi said...

HAPPY BLOGANNIVERSARY!!!!
as for the pickle.. GIMME SOME!!!!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Congratulations..lovely tempting pickle yaar...

indosungod said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I am glad you are celebrating it with the Andra classic. Look totally awesome. This was one of the perks of being in a hostel, freshest and tastiest avakaya pickle from Andhra. I also remember it as being slightly sweet. I see you do not have sugar in this recipe.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Congrats! The pickles looks yum

Unknown said...

Congrats on ur milestone.Mouthwatering pickle!

Gayathri said...

am ready with my curd rice, can i get a bit of this mouth watering andra avakai..

Sanghi said...

Wow! Congrats Sharmi..! Wonderful click and perfect Avakaya..! I'm drooling over it :o..!:)

Suparna said...

Hello Congos on your 2nd Blog Anniversary!! Lovely pickle..perfect pictures. God Bless!
TC

Manju said...

happy blogoversary!!! i have immense respect for anyone who can make a decent avakaya pickle!! looks just amazing..i will send you my address, could you pls pls send me some!! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Spciy Pickles looks really superb, Congrats Sharmi for 2nd blog anniversary..

Mona said...

Been a long time since I had home made raw mango pickle. Looks scrumptious!
zaiqa.net

Sharmi said...

Thanks to all of you for the lovely wishes!
Indo, Usually we do not add sugar to the pickle.
Superchef, Thanks. ya give me your address:)

Bong Mom said...

Sharmi

A very very happy blog-versary.
How is Michigan treating you ? Shall send you a mail about the domain thing

Laavanya said...

Oh wow.. that is homemade? unbelievable! What a great post to celebrate your 2nd anniversary Sharmi. Congrats and here's to many more.

Lisa Turner said...

Happy Birthday and I look forward to many more years of your delicious recipes. I love Indian pickles and always meant to find out how to make my own. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Will try.

Cynthia said...

You know I love anything hot and this mango pickle has me drooling.

Don't think I have abandoned you. I promise to make time and email you.

A Well Wisher said...

Your avakaya procedure is the same as my mother. The avakaya looks delicious!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

Hi Sharmi, Congrats on the second birthday of your beautiful blog. am new to this blogosphere but like your recipes a lot. last year made this pickle which was finished in no time. your pic makes me crave for it once again.

Sia said...

aha... just the way i like to celebrate any special ocassion ;) slurp...
happy 2 nd blog anniversary sweetie :)

Namratha said...

Mmm, avakaya is my favourtie pickle, my granny just sent me some a few days back from India :) Good going on the 2nd year Sharmi, your blog rocks! :)

Swapna said...

Wow! spicy & perfect pickle. Keep rocking :)

MR said...

looks so yummy pickle
congrats !!

Anonymous said...

The click makes me crave for it now..... :)

Unknown said...

First time here....Congrats on ur new domain! Loved the pickle...

Sucharitha said...

You have tempted me sooooooo much to eat that aavakaya saadam. Cannot wait to have some.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Sharmila....avakay is mouth watering

AMIT said...

Its too spicy.Nice shared.

Lingerie Alley

Lavanya said...

very nice blog..first time here..i am always looking for mango pickle..but ididnt find a good one..thanks for the recipe!!

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sharmi,
mouthwatering when i see the pickle,
shrmi, can you please visit my new blog prasukitchen.blogspot.com
and post ur comments