Monday, January 5, 2009

Corn Puttu and Kadala Curry



Puttu is one of my favorite comfort food after idli/sambar. I make this at least 2-3 times a month. It is a staple breakfast in Kerala along with a cup of tea.

Knowing that its my favorite, my mom had bought some different varieties of ready made Puttu flour form India. Double Horse brand has a wide variety like corn, ragi and health mix puttu flour which makes puttu making very easy.
I dont know if we can use corn meal as a substitute.

Ingredients

For Puttu:

2 or 3 cups Corn puttu flour
1 cup fresh grated coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
water to moisten the puttu


Preparation

In a bowl toss in puttu flour, add salt and sugar (for softness). Sprinkle Luke warm water so as to moisten the flour. Keep mixing the flour and water to make sure no lumps are formed and the mix should remain in the form of flour. To know if you have added enough water to the flour, take some flour in your hand to make a fist and see if the flour holds together. This means the mix is ready to get steamed. Keep this mix aside for about 10 minutes.
In a puttu maker fill 2-3 tbsp fresh grated coconut and top it with flour and make layers as seen in the picture.





Steam cook by placing the Puttu maker above a pressure cooker which has 4-5 cups of water in it. Cook for about 10 minutes or until steam appears above the puttu maker.


Kadala curry ( Chickpea gravy)

Ingredients

1 cup black (kala) chana/chickpea soaked and pressure cooked with 1tsp salt
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Chana masala powder or (1tsp coriander powder)
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp dry/dessicated coconut powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
3-4 tbsp oil
1/3 tsp mustard seeds
handful of curry leaves
1-2 green chillies
salt to taste

Preparation

In a deep bottomed pan, add oil. On a medium heat, add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter. To this add ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chillies. Also add onions and cook till soft. Add tomato, salt, Chana masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, coconut powder and cook till soft. The mixture reaches a thick semi-gravy consistency. A little water from the pressure cooked chickpea can be added to the mixture to cook well. Now add the cooked chickpea(kadala) to this mixture.
Let it cook for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Delicious Kadala curry is ready to go with steamed puttu. A very satisfying meal to the tummy and soul:)



This is my contribution to Cooking for Kids Event- Corn last date-Jan 5th. This being a very healthy meal. Puttu can also be served with banana and sugar for kids.

I also announce the Ingredient for the month of January- Its Milk and milk products. You can use paneer(Indian cheese), any other cheese, yogurt and cream

Milk being good for kids milk contains significant amounts of Saturated fat, Protein, Calcium as well as Vitamin C.

The last date for submission of entries is Feb-5th. Will get back to you soon with the corn- roundup!!

I am sending this to JFI- Chickpea by Sometime Foodie.

This also goes to FIC-Yellow by Sunshinemom and My Legume Love Affair by Srivalli.
Susan is the brain child of My Legume Love Affair event.



36 comments:

Sig said...

Wow, I've never heard of all these different types of puttu powders, I've only heard of red puttu and white puttu :). I love this color!

Sanghi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanghi said...

A new one. Looks great. Kadala curry is delicious!

Jaishree Iyer said...

Only once I tasted puttu & kadala curry. It is new one for me.. looks delicious..
Happy New Year to u & ur family!

soma said...

These look so new to me. looks so fluffy & delicious.
Soma(www.ecurry.com)

Uma said...

never made or eaten puttu before, though I have heard of it several times. your corn puttu is so inviting and tempting. Yummy!

Sorry I couldn't send anything for corn event, as I always lose track of events. I shall definitely contribute something for the next event of milk and milk products.

Premyscakes said...

Looks so delicious, i have never tried puttu with corn.

Beyond Curries said...

I've also not heard of corn puttu powder or any other variety mentioned. That's interesting, so is the recipe too. Sorry couldn't participate in last month's event. I'll definitely make it a point to send my entries this month.

Deepa Hari said...

I love puttu...corn puttu sounds interesting...never tasted them...They look delicious.

ms said...

Hi, sounds like a great curry for an interesting puttu. It would be a great entry for JFI Chickpea!thank you.

anudivya said...

Never heard of corn puttu. I make them normally with the brown rice puttu, and we love it. This looks very nice.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
i hv never heard of corn puttu...is corn puttu flour available in indian store?curry looks perfect combination.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Never really tried to make puttu.. But I love puttu and Kadala curry

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow colorful puttu.. i tried one time but i don have that puttu kuzhal..

glad to note one more nice event here. shall i send my carrot halwa which i used milk and khoa in that.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Ur pics are delectable...

yum.
thanks for stopping by my blog.
Hope i have found a frequent guest in you!:)

hugs

Richa said...

hi Sharmi, wish a very happy new year! I'm hoping to get back soon :) that puttu and curry looks d-lish..slurrrrp!!

Suganya said...

Corn puttu never heard of it. Looks so good. Will try it soon. YUM!

Usha said...

Both puttu and kadala curry look yum and inviting...

J said...

Corn puttu sounds so scrumptious! Will have to try the double horse brand now. Happy New Year!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

u made corn puttu...lovely

Vaishali said...

This looks just delicious, Sharmi. I've never made puttu before, but your recipe's truly inspiring. One question: does one have to have a puttu maker for this, or can one improvise with a steamer or such?

Uj said...

I have always known only of Rice Puttu and due to other blogger's Ragi Puttu this is new to me and looks healthy. I do not have a puttu maker here with me. But would love to try making rice Puttu using coconut shell :)

vidhas said...

puttu and kadala curry sounds's great. Happy to know this month's event. Count me in.

Manasi said...

Sigh! this is one item i have to wait to try till I go to India :(
and it looks so tempting!!!!!!

CurryLeaf said...

I did not know corn puttu flour was there.Thanks I will search.I have seen the health mix flour,but never this.Comforting breakfast with kadala curry.Perfect pics and perfect entries.

CurryLeaf said...

If interested send it to Legume Affair Seventh helping at srivlli's,Kadala curry is perfect for that :)

Vishali said...

Happy New Year to u and ur family Sharmi.

The Corn Puttu with chana curry looks good and is healthy too.

FH said...

Hi Sharmi, finally I am back! :D

I saw some puttu pd packets too at the Indian grocery store,didn't buy it b'use didn't know how it will turn out. Looks great here, might try next time.
Happy new year.

Sunshinemom said...

I did not know about corn puttu! Looks delicious, and thanks for sending it to FIC, Sharmi!

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry!

Chitra said...

Hi ,my mom makes puttu with rice.we dont have puttu maker.we do it in idly maker only.Ur corn puttu is different and healthy too.ready made Puttu pwd is available ? will search here and try to make this at home.do check out mine when u r free:)

Divya Kudua said...

Wow..puttu-kadala is a delectable combo and I can have it anytime of the day.Its only recently that I too started experimenting the new puttu flavors available..havent tried corn puttu though..sounds like a must try!!

Pritya said...

Hi Sharmila, thats a really unique recipe, it looks like something one has to master over time. I am going to check if this puttu flour is available in the nearby store, it looks like a great party dish. I also like the layout of your blog - uncluttered and inviting. Congrats!

Raaga said...

It looks so nice... and I love that kadala curry. Can't have enough of it.

happy Sankranti :-)

Rajee said...

Wow, never heard of corn puttu. Is it available easily corn puttu flour? I tried red puttu and white puttu only. I love this color. Let me know how it tastes whether it's similar to regular puttu.

MR said...

love puttu and kadala
i have always made with rice
corn looks tempting