Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Announcing "Cooking For Kids- Event"


I saw this show on CNN, FEd Up: America's Killer Diet. I heard this quote from Dr. Sanjay Gupta “…barely one percent of children meet government guidelines for a healthy diet.” If you're searching for a villain in America's obesity epidemic, most nutritionists tell you to put one picture on the wanted poster: a cold, bubbly glass of soda pop.

He talks about this kid, Adrian McHargh who grew up active and skinny in Kingston, Jamaica. An enthusiastic swimmer, he had the pristine waters of the Caribbean for a playground until two years ago, when he and his family moved to America. I would eat a lot because I was bored," he says. "I was sitting on the couch just watching TV, not playing a lot."

Within months, Adrian was in trouble. He'd packed on 30 pounds. Doctors said he had hypertension, high cholesterol and was at high risk for type 2 diabetes.
(Source:CNN)

Kids get carried away by french fries, soda, cookies, chips, juice with high fructose corn syrup. Ready made frozen meals, sugar coated attractive cereals, pizzas and burgers have made it convenient for people from not cooking fresh food. How much freshly prepared food, fruits and veggie servings are included in your kid's diet?

The other day while talking to Kay of One bite at a time, I was telling my concerns about my 4 yr old not eating home cooked food and eats a lot of junk food. She gave me some very innovative ways to make healthy food tasty and attractive.

Now coming to the point, the idea behind starting "Cooking For Kids" event is to cook healthy yet attractive and delicious recipes for kids. We want our kids to be healthy and live a disease free life.



The rules of this event is very simple.

Monthly an Ingredient will be announced by the start of that month and you have to create a recipe with it. The Ingredient can be anything from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, flours, legumes, lentils, dry fruits, herbs, spices, milk, milk products and so on.

  1. Prepare a kid friendly recipe with the main ingredient, and post it on your blog from the announced date till 30Th of that month.
  2. Send me an e-mail with your Name, a picture of the recipe, perma-link of the recipe and name of your blog to "cookingforkidsevent AT gmail DOT com".
  3. Please use “CFK” to denote the subject matter.
  4. Also link this event to your entry.

    The Ingredient for December month is "Corn". You may use any version of corn. It may be fresh corn, corn flour, creamed corn, baby corn, corn meal or frozen corn.
    Create anything from Soups, Salads, Appitizers, sides, Breakfasts, dinner or desserts.

    You can also include information like "sweet corn has significant Antioxidant activity, which can substantially reduce the chance of Heart disease and Cancer.

    The deadline for this event will be December 31, 2008. The round-up will be posted by January 5Th 2009. January's ingredient will be announced on the 1st of Jan.
    Please feel free to use the above logo. You can (left)click on the logo to save it.

So get creative and post some yummy recipes!!

32 comments:

Suganya said...

This is a nice event.... Would love to participate in it....

All the best for ur event...

Sharmi said...

Thankyou So much Sukanya! Really appreciated:)

Kay said...

Ah! I'll be there.. I even know what I want to make :)

Thanks for the mention ;)

Libby said...

What a wonderful event! I'll definitely be entering! Libby

Unknown said...

i will surely make something for the event..

Sunshinemom said...

Great idea! If I have something in my old posts which is good for kids and uses 'the ingredient' can I send it in?

Sharmi said...

Yes Sunshinemom, You surely can. Make sure it is with "corn" :)

suvi said...

Hi,

This is a great event. Have a fussy 3 year old who doesn't seem to want to eat anything!! And I am forever left wondering what to make for her. So looking fwd for some inspiration from this event.

Priya Suresh said...

Nice event...count me in..will send something..

Finla said...

Yeah i know the problem. Shyama is a very picky eater and when she was little it was worse and my solution for her to eat veggies were to make them into soups.
Even now she is picky but it is getting easier.
Will try to send you something, but have to admit corn is not something i use that much.

Anonymous said...

Wow!this is one most wanted event for all mom's who have picky eaters. corn is good to start too.Cos sweet corn is one veggie my daughter just loves to eat.

Unknown said...

This sounds like fun event, I always modify recipes to suit to my toddlers taste. I am in, will cook something for the event.

Preety said...

will send something

Sig said...

great event Sharmi... I don't know anything about cooking for kids... but I will try and send some healthy stuff in when I can!

Raks said...

I will surely try to participate and event roundup will be useful to me:)

Laavanya said...

That sounds like a great & useful event. Hope to participate.

Purva Desai said...

This is one healthy and nice event for kids....count me in

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Very nice event. Will surely try to particpate. More eager to see the round-ups every month. Then I don't have to keep on thinking everyday for preparing something healthy and tasty for my kids.

vidhas said...

Very Nice event. I can get more ideas to prepare healthy foods for my kids.

Yasmeen said...

I'm always mindful of what my kids eat.hope to cook up something tasty with corn and send it your away:)

Chandani said...

Nice event...I have some yummy corn dishes already posted on the blog...
as for your query about non-fried dahivadas, yes, they do turn out quite soft :)

Nanditha Prabhu said...

all the best for the event! i 'll try to pitch in... this should be my wake up call!

Beyond Curries said...

Wow! I didn't know about this event until now. Of late I'm cooking a lot of kid friendly dishes. Would love to participate in it.

Cham said...

I just come to know this event I do have a kid , will try my best to chip in!

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

hi will be mailing u my entry soon...:)

Suvasini said...

Hello Sharmi, I've been following your Blog since 2006 (thats when I moved to the US) now have a 19month old baby boy who loves to eat saw all the events here, loved everything, esp the cooking for kids event, even I wish to participate in this, but I'm in India now on a Long vacation, wanted to know if still this event is on then would like to participate, would also like to know whats the main ingredient for the month of March?
Thanks.
Best regards,
Suvasini

Vegetarian Zest said...

Although i have never participated in any of the events, i would surely send in my recipe for this one.

chow and chatter said...

http://www.chowandchatter.com/2009/09/nutella-stuffed-rambutan.html
my entry for cooking for kids

Saraswathi Iyer said...

Hi you have a nice blog. will send in my entry soon. I would to host an event too. Drop in sometime.

Priya said...

I love ur blog and recipes... i m ur new follower...

Unknown said...

Sharmi, I would like to host too. Let me know if you have a host line-up.

http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/

Suma Gandlur said...

I want to host CFK event and was wondering whether August month (or any thing later) is open.
Let me know if this works.