Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Poha Dosa – Atukula Attlu




My Son Adi is turning 3 this 21st, so for the next few days. I am going to be little busy, shopping and partying. I thought why not finish up with all the pending posts and then take a break. Then I have a long recipe list coming up for Ugadi and Sri Rama Navami. Hell lot of work to do!!

Starting a blog has not only made me little busy from the usual schedule but my way of cooking has improved a lot than before. Before, I never used to be so dedicated to cooking. It was like any other daily task. Used to finish it fast and go to the next job. Now, I cook systematically, with lot of decoration, garnishing, presentation and most importantly concentration. "Hubby is happy!! Gets to eat something new everyday."

We all love dosas/attlu(a Telugu Word), especially when it comes in a different version than usual. This Dosa is very different from the normal ones and in other words called “sponge or cushion” dosa. My Mother-in-Law taught me this recipe. It is served hot and it simply melts in your mouth.




Ingredients

3 cups Idly rice or raw rice (anything is fine)
1 cup Poha (atukulu/ aval/ rice flakes)
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi)
Sour Buttermilk or yogurt
Salt.

Preparation

Soak rice, poha and fenugreek together in sour buttermilk or yogurt.
Add water and dilute the yogurt. Remember not to add too much water.
But very important point is 'Yogurt / Butter Milk' should be very sour, else the batter will not ferment. Let it soak overnight.
Morning, grind them into batter without adding much water. The batter should be comparatively thicker than the usual dosa batter.
Pour the batter in to a huge vessel, as it will ferment and double it's size.
Now, add salt to the batter and let it ferment for another 12 hours.
The batter should double its size. Now, it's ready to become cushion dosa. The batter should be poured in a non-stick kadai and should not be smeared to make dosas. It should be left as it is only pouring oil in the edges.
Cover it with lid and gas on medium heat. Then when the upper side gets cooked toss it to the other side and cook. The dosa will rise up to half an inch of thickness in the pan, yet soft and spongy. Now serve it hot with chutney or sambar.










33 comments:

Sia said...

ah...we call it majjige dosa sharmi. we add little jaggary to it. the sweet and sour taste of this spongy dosa is unbelivable:)

sailaja said...

My fav dosa - sponge dosa and my son loves it with a dollop of butter. Nice pictures, Sharmi.

Sailaja

FH said...

Sharmi,there are two more girls before me!!See,I ma not the only one!;D
We call set dosas too in Mysore because they are always served in 3s,I love them.Looks great.
Happy 3rd Birthday to your son!:))My son is 12 today!!Log in to my FH today:D

TNL said...

oh what a nice recipe....I don't think I have had this before.

you're right about blogging, it does make us better cooks...my husband is the same way..he looks forward for a nice recipe each time now.

Many best wishes for your son...have fun shopping and planning. Will wait for you to post about it.

-trupti

Mishmash ! said...

Sharmi, whatever u said in that post is true, busy schedules, more focuss and attention and variety of food on dining table..all thanks to this lil blog world:) hey enjoy shopping and preparing for ur kid's b'day...ugadi for u and vishu for us and easter comes before that...hmm.great isn't it,lots of celebs and gud foooood tooo :)

Shn

Priya said...

Hey Sharmi,
My mother too makes these and I had post the recipe a few months back. I just love these. Its rather cold in the place I live and so have never tried it out as the fermentation part is really important.
And you know what, I saw that episode of Giada and made them for a frnds b'day in Jan. Still haven't got to post it though !! :P

Sharmi said...

Sia, Jaggery is a great idea. thanks for the tip.

Sailu, its my favourite too...with butter ummm yummy....

Asha honey I was kidding yarr!!come on now!! you are doing a great job. I have had set dosas. we get it in Tamilnadu. thanks for the wishes. and wish ur Son Happy b'day from my behalf.

Trupti, Thanks for the wishes!!surely will post some b'day pics.

Shn, Wish you a Advance Happy Vishu. I love that festival where I too with my friends used to close my eyes and get up to see the Vishu Kani!! Nice memories....

Priya, so you are a step ahead of me in these recipes hmmmmm.....

Richa said...

soft n' spongy, dosas look so good. I love all kinds of dosa, but most of the times it is in restaurants. At home I've not attempted it too many times, your post tempts me to try it.

Malar Gandhi said...

Hai There,

Very nice recipe. Its so different to me. I never tried this type tho' sounds yummy. Will give a try soon.

Unknown said...

Wow..poha dosa..looks delicious.I usually add a handful of poha while grinding dosa batter.Looks spongy...thanks for sharing.

Prema Sundar said...

New to ur blog sharmi. went thru ur recpies .. u have got a good collection. Poha dosa is new to me .. never tasted it.looks spongy and nice.
I loved the pineapple flower cups too.

J said...

Happy bday to your son!! You've said it right, there's more attention on presentation etc all due to blogging! And something new to eat everyday!! I recently made this set dosa from another blogger. I loved the pineapple flowers, looked beautiful.:)

Latha said...

Very tasty and spongy looking Dosas Sharmi. Will try this recipe soemtime!
Cheers
Latha

Bong Mom said...

I think I saw it at Supriya's , did I ?
Anyway this looks great and you & Adi must be excied with the B'Day party coming up.
Lots of hugs and B'day wishes for him in advance

Sharmi said...

Richa try it! works out good!

Thanks a lot Malar, Mahi, Jyo, Latha and Sandeepa for the wishes.

Welcome to my blog Prema!!

Unknown said...

A no dal dosa? nice recipe. I do add a handfull of poha to my usual dosai recipe. It makes it soft and fluffy. I can imagine how soft this would be with all that poha in it. Thanks!
Hema
http://vegconcoctions.wordpress.com/

USHA said...

Hi Sharmi,

Poha Dosa sounds great...wow ! what a porous texture...

You got wonderful collection of recipes,i liked all the dishes and presentation too...

Menu Today said...

Hi Sharmi,
Dosa looks perfect... You have good collection of recipes.Thanks for sharing.

bee said...

i have lots of poha at home. will try this. thanks.

Deepa Hari said...

Hi Sharmi,

Nice blog and awesome recipes...gud job..

Swapna said...

Sharmi,
That's a nice dosa recipe..

Wish Adi a very Happy Birthday! God bless him.
Swaps

KF said...

Happy B'day to ur Son,Is he naughty?My younger one is also 3 and 1/2 years..Your dosa looks yummy ,For me new idea ading Aval to make dosa,I will try this .

KF said...

Happy B'day to ur Son,Is he naughty?My younger one is also 3 and 1/2 years..Your dosa looks yummy ,For me new idea ading Aval to make dosa,I will try this .

naheemu said...

this is the set dosa we get in bangalore .. cool...

Mandira said...

the dosa looks delicious and spongy. Thanks for sharing.

Shivapriya said...

Mom mom makes this we call it sponge dosa, I tried making this many times here but its not fermenting properly here,I guess its because of the weather.Last time when I visited Indian I tried making this and it came out very well.Thanks for posting wonderful recipe.

Shivapriya said...

Belated Birthday wishes to you lil one.

Creativecook said...

Sharmi,

I tried these dosa's yesterday. I loved the sour taste and soft texture too. My kids loved it too.
Thanks for sharing. BTW, my son's name is Aadi too, his birthday is comming up next week.

Rinku

Linda said...

Hi Sharmi, this looks really delicious! I could easily gobble that up right now. You have alot of lovely dishes here -- I shall be back to read more. Hope your little one had a fun birthday too -- pics are so adorable :)

arundati said...

i hope you had a great time celebrating your son's birthday...here's wishing him many more lovely years of health and happiness....dosas are a fav at my home too...this is being bookmarked to be tried...

Sanctified Spaces said...

Hi, Nice post.I tried this recipe today, but I did not ferment it.Should try your method sometime.

NR said...

Hi sharmi , you didn't gave measurement for Sour Buttermilk or yogurt? how much shall i use?

Sharmi said...

@NR, The buttermilk should be such that it should soak all the ingredients. May be 4-6 cups.